Thursday, March 17, 2011
Healthy Snacks Will Keep You Pumped Throughout the Day
Portable healthy snacks are the latest trend in the snacking industry. Wrapped stringed cheese, Go-Gurt (portable yogurt), individually packaged vegetable portions with low-fat dip and 100-calorie potato chips or cookies are helping us to eat healthy, even when we feel we have no time to do so. To maintain a healthy weight and reduce our risk for heart disease or cancer, we have to be more mindful of eating a balanced diet packed with nutrients and controlling our calorie count. Luckily, manufacturers are responding to our needs with more products and offerings to help, and blogs are spreading more food snacks tips for packing the best lunch possible.
Do you rarely have time for a pleasant sit-down breakfast? Luckily, there are a number of morning-friendly, healthy food snacks to wake up your metabolism and provide you with the nutrients you need to get a fresh start. For a quick solution, try half a peanut butter sandwich on whole-wheat bread, low-sugar whole-grain granola bars (with at least 3 grams of fiber), 4-6 ounces of low-fat yogurt, some high-fiber cereal with dried fruit or a bowl of instant oatmeal with sliced peaches, if you've got five minutes.
Throughout the day, nothing kills our motivation like a heavy 30-minute lunch. Instead, healthy snacks can keep us pumped throughout the day. Dietitian-recommended options include a handful of unsalted or lightly salted dry-roasted nuts, a single serving pack of unsweetened applesauce with a few dry-roasted walnuts, a small apple with two tablespoons of peanut butter or one ounce of low-fat cheese, half a string cheese with a few pieces of fruit or whole grain crackers or pretzels with low-fat cheese. Raw foods, like vegetables, can be jazzed up with nacho cheese, low-fat ranch or no-fat veggie dip. Lunch snacks manufacturers have been making portable individual packets of carrots, celery, apple slices, nuts, low-fat cheese and other goodies to promote eating healthy.
"Look for snacks that contain protein with healthy carbohydrates and fats, and eat your snacks slowly so they fill you up," advises Baylor nutrition Professor Suzy Weems, PhD. There are many healthy snacks to choose from, so it can be easy to lose track of how our diets are stacking up throughout the day. A free community website, "Sparks People", allows users to enter the food they've eaten during the day into a database, which tallies up protein, calories, fat and other statistics to help keep track of weight loss goals.
(Photo : Thomas Francisco)
Posted by 5 Five Delivery at 12:16 p.m.
- Feeling Lonely? Mac & Cheese Might Be the Cure
- Yoga eating: eating before and after Yoga
- Ultimate Omelette with Egg Beaters Recipe
- The following is a list of various Vancouver food
- Vancouver Map - Map of Downtown Vancouver 밴쿠버 다운타운...
- Spring: Recipes in Season : Candied Sweet Potatoes...
- Healthy Food Recipes - Healthy Low Calorie Recepie...
- Ideas for a Romantic Birthday : Ideas for a romant...
- Ebi-Ten 에비텐 : Japanese Fast food at its best
- How to conquer jet-lag
- Healthy Snacks Will Keep You Pumped Throughout the...
- Canadian movies worthy of watching : How many movi...
- Korean food and drinking culture
- Breakfast and Lunch, Most Popular Meeting Menus
- Study Finds Drinking Coffee Reduces Stroke Risk in...
- 18 Fast And Easy Lunch Box Ideas!
- Guides to the best of Vancouver
- How to Prepare Food for a Homecoming Party
- How to Beat the Monday Morning Blues
- Be a kick ass party host!
- Gifts from Your Kitchen : Food Gift Recipes and Ja...
- Brain food: 4 steps to better your brain power
- Celebrate food with your kids
- ▼ March (23)